To celebrate berry season, this recipe combines juicy strawberries and vanilla cream, which are blended to perfection then topped with a scoop of extra cream. Except this strawberry shake is made without traditional heavy cream; instead, it’s made with coconut cream. Now I know you are probably thinking coconut cream sounds like a funky and messy concoction, but not to worry, it has a surprisingly delicious taste that is quite addictive. Also, it’s easy to whip up with just some vanilla and sugar–a process that turns it into a puffy, white cloud of cream that is impossible to keep your spoon out of.
Not only is it delicious, but the amazing benefits of coconut make it a must-try food. It’s rich in many essential vitamins and contains minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium, selenium, magnesium, and phosphorous. It also contains lauric acid, which has disease-fighting, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. Plus strawberries add even more amazing health benefits to this delectable treat, but since this is turning into a science lecture how about we get to the recipe!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk chilled overnight
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 tbs. organic sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 very ripe bananas, frozen
- 1/2 cup coconut cream, fresh coconut meat, nut-cream, or an additional banana
- Take chilled can of coconut milk out of the refrigerator and turn upside-down. Open and pour coconut water aside for later, then scoop the layer of cream into a medium mixing bowl. Add vanilla and sugar to the cream and use a mixer or a spoon to whip all ingredients together.
- If using frozen fruit, thaw slightly beforehand then add them with the coconut cream to a blender or food processor, and blend on low until mixture becomes creamy. Add liquid such as almond milk for a true shake consistency. Top with additional cream and berries.
- For a coconut allergy, try substituting the cream with cashew or almond vanilla cream.